Children's Summer School
With the intent of supporting financial education and contributing to local communities, Mizuho has been running the Children's Summer School since FY2011.
FY2017 Children's Summer School
From July to August 2017, Mizuho Bank, Mizuho Trust & Banking, and Mizuho Securities sponsored the Children's Summer School at 107 branches of Mizuho Bank. This year, about 1,900 elementary school children participated and, in addition to actually experiencing the workplace, deepened their understanding of finance through listening to lectures on money and financial management.
- *The flow of the sessions may differ from one branch to another. We present images of the sessions in several branches.
Voices of children
- "We thought the job of bank employees was to accept funds, but we learned that they have other work to do as well." (Fourth grade primary school student)
- "We thought that being able to explore the bank and see places there that others do not usually have the chance to see, such as the big safe, was really fun." (Sixth grade primary school student)
- "I found it interesting that there is a special way to exchange meishi (business cards) and that bows should be made at a certain angle." (Third grade primary school student)
- "We thought that bank employees just accepted money, but we learned that they also lend money, give people advice, and perform other services." (Fourth grade primary school student)
- "The visit to the bank made me want to use money with special care." (Fourth grade primary school student)
- "I enjoyed learning how to count money."(Sixth grade primary school student)
- "I was really amazed by how heavy JPY 100 million in cash is." (Third grade primary school student)
Voices of employees
- "The children and the adults accompanying them seem to be delighted by the tour. We were happy to provide a service that contributes to the community."
- "By explaining the banking business to children, we got a renewed awareness of how important our work is. I felt strongly that I wanted us to do things for our customers."
- "The children participating in the event seemed to be enjoying it. We showed them how to exchange business cards and let them view \100 million first hand. I felt that it was good for us to have them see a bank at work at close range."
- "By coming into contact with primary school children who live in our community, I believe we left the impression that Mizuho is a friendly company."
- "I thought it was good that the event generated interest among the children in the banking business."
- "Teaching the children about the roles of banking gave us the opportunity to review our work from a new perspective."