Support for start–ups and business succession
Support for business and asset succession
Business succession, a major management issue for our mid–tier and SME customers, entails issues related to the succession of management rights to a company and issues related to the passing down of the business owner's assets. Mizuho provides solutions for issues related to business and asset succession that are tailor–made to the unique situation of each customer.
A variety of seminars held
For business owners and other customers, Mizuho holds the Mizuho Top Owners Seminar, which covers issues related to banking, trust banking, and securities, as well as other seminars for specific topics related to business and asset succession, as well as asset management. Mizuho strives to provide information and advice about topics of strong interest to its customers, including business succession, asset inheritance, and equity markets.
Support for the smooth, secure transfer of wealth
Mizuho Trust & Banking uses trust functions to provide customers with peace of mind by supporting the smooth transfer of wealth from one generation to the next. Key services include the following. With Mizuho Trust & Banking as the trust agent, Mizuho Bank and Mizuho Securities offer several trust products and services in the following.
- Consent to Undertake the Execution of Wills Service: Services covering everything from consulting for will preparation to will execution
- Will Safe–Keeping Service: Safe, reliable will custody services
- Inheritance Arrangement Services: Representation in the performance of necessary procedures following will execution
- Monetary Trusts with Special Options (Choice of Features for Peace of Mind): Functions and services of choice that give customers peace of mind at the time in their lives when they are necessary.
- Asset Inheritance Trust: Custom planning for the future transfer of wealth (monetary)
- Educational Funding Donation Trusts: Careful management of educational funds to be donated to grandchildren, etc.
- Marriage and Childrearing Support Trust ("Gift of Hope"): Administration of funds to be given to children and grandchildren for marrying and raising children
- Mizuho Calendar Year Gift Trust ("Thoughtful Gift") : Assisting customers through providing services to manage and invest funds for annual gifts to family members
- Mizuho Trust & Banking offers two types of trusts for the family, namely: "single lump–sum payment trusts" and "pension trusts." Single lump–sum payment trusts are used to set aside funds that will be necessary for families immediately after an inheritance event occurs. Pension trusts provide for periodic payments of life support funds to families following an inheritance.
- Business Succession Trusts: These trust arrangements provide assistance for SME owners in passing their businesses to the next owners.
- Internet–based inheritance administration services: These services include conducting various related procedures that are required after inheritance proceedings begin and may be provided using the Internet without requiring the presence of the business owners and their successors.
Mizuho Trust & Banking conducts seminars on estates and wills to promote wider understanding of these topics.
Initiatives to support innovative start–ups
For innovative start–ups that have superior technology and ideas, Mizuho provides both loans and equity financing, while also actively offering business development opportunities such as business matching as well as through collaboration with industry, academia, and government ministries. Other assistance includes holding seminars for training and mentoring.
In April 2016, Mizuho Bank newly established its Innovative Start–ups Coordination Department, and Mizuho Securities formed a Strategic Research Department with the aim of improving and strengthening our initiatives to support start–ups. Through these activities, Mizuho aims to provide financial support that will lead to sustainable growth in the Japanese economy and creation of new jobs.
Arrangement of risk money investment program responding to growth funding needs of Japanese companies
Financial institutions are expected to play roles in supporting companies from a broad perspective by sharing risk, providing industry and business knowledge, and supporting the creation of corporate governance frameworks. In October 2015, Mizuho Bank has arranged a joint investment program, "Blue Partners Fund," in cooperation with the Development Bank of Japan. In a wide range of situations, Japanese companies need funding for business growth. By supporting corporate growth and providing risk money through joint investments with companies and provision of equity capital, Mizuho Bank is contributing to strengthening the competitiveness of Japan's economy and society.
Membership–based service to support the growth of innovative companies
Mizuho established M's Salon in November 2016. This is a membership–based service to support the growth of companies that have the potential to bring about innovation. It offers its members a range of service options that will help to resolve management issues typically confronted by growing companies that use outstanding technologies and ideas in creating innovative business, and help to accelerate their growth.
We will contribute to the Japanese economy and social progress through our support for the innovative companies that will play a leading role in the future.
Mizuho Bank holds business matching forums as a venue for customers to meet each other.
|Main themes||For innovative companies, encouragement of local enterprises, etc.|
|Locations||Tokyo, Osaka, Fukuoka, Sapporo|
IPO support structure
Mizuho provides solutions tailored to its customers' needs by coordinating with Mizuho Securities, which supports listed companies as a securities firm, including the needs of customers considering an initial public offering (IPO); Mizuho Trust & Banking, which provides transfer agent services, including advice on securities matters and other support; and Mizuho Capital, which offers advice for venture capital investments and public offerings.
Held events for unlisted companies for the purpose of exchanging information
Since 2005, Mizuho Bank, Mizuho Trust & Banking, and Mizuho Securities have held events for unlisted companies to assemble for the purpose of exchanging information with customers eyeing an IPO.
|No. of participating companies||249||233|
Supporting the activities of social entrepreneurs
To address pressing and serious social issues such as those in the fields of human rights, education, health, and the environment, around the world "social businesses" that are working for reforming society as sustainable businesses are drawing attention. In Japan also, which has a number of issues to solve, including the demographic aging of society, social security, energy, and the vitalization of local economies, expectations regarding what social businesses can accomplish are rising. However, compared with Europe and the United States, awareness of "social entrepreneurship" is relatively low in Japan. Moreover, management know–how as well as funds and human resources are insufficient, and the business environment for promoting social businesses needs to be improved.
To respond to these various issues and promote the development of social businesses in Japan, Mizuho has provided support for the social entrepreneurship activities of Ashoka, which is the leading world authority in this field, since the founding of Ashoka Japan in 2011. Mizuho has also built up a store of knowledge and know–how regarding social businesses and is considering how to become involved in this area as a financial institution.